Skip to main content

Prisoners register 1829-1973

Identifier: SAS 1536

Scope and Contents

Between 1829 to October 1913 the record consists of one-line entries on three consecutive double-page spreads. The first two pages list name, length of term, crime, serial number, county, term of court, when received, time out, and when and how discharged. The second pair of pages lists name, age, nativity, occupation, height, eye and hair color, complexion, general appearance, and marks and scars. The third double page spread lists name, habits (liquor), residence of relatives, statement of property, and education. From October 1913 onward the record consists of one-line entries on a two page spread. The two pages list serial number, name, age, race, term, crime, county, term of court, when received, maximum time, minimum time, and when and how discharged. Includes index. 1829-1855 (GR3627) 1855-1865 (GR3628) 1865-1869 (GR3629) 1869-1875 (GR3630) 1875-1877 (GR3631) 1877-1881 (GR3632) 1881-1883 (GR3633) 1883-1886 (GR3634) 1886-1889 (GR3635) 1889-1892 (GR3636) 1892-1894 (GR3637) 1894-1897 (GR3638) 1897-1898 (GR3639) 1898-1900 (GR3640) 1900-1902 (GR3641) 1902-1907 (GR3642) 1907-1909 (GR3643) 1909-1914 (GR3644) 1914-1919 (GR3645) 1919-1924 (GR3888) 1924-1928 (GR3889) 1928-1934 (GR3890) 1934-1938 (GR3891) 1938-1942 v.34, #73736-78963 (BV7682) 1938-1942 v.34, Index (BV7683) 1942-1946 v.35, #78964-84150 (BV7684) 1942-1946 v.35, Index (BV7685) 1946-1950 v.36, #84151-89272 (BV7686) 1946-1950 v.36, Index (BV7687) 1950-1953 v.37, #89273-94484 (BV7688) 1953-1956 v.38, #94485-99697 (BV7689) 1956-1958 v.39, #99698-104868 (BV7690) 1958-1960 v.40, #104869-110126 (BV7691) 1960-1962 v.41, #110127-115330 (BV7692) 1962-1964 v.42, #115331-120542 (BV7693) 1964-1967 v.43, #120543-125742 (BV7694) 1967-1970 v.44, #125743-130929 (BV7695) 1970-1973 v.45, #130930-134569 (BV7696)


  • 1829-1973


Language of Materials


Conditions Governing Access

1829-1938 records are avilable on microfilm only.

Biographical / Historical

First erected in 1813 at the corner of Main and Second streets, the state penitentiary in Columbus was a three-story brick structure with 13 cells. A new three-story building was built on the same site in 1818. By 1830 the state penitentiary proved inadequate. In 1832, the legislature approved building a new penitentiary capable of holding 500 convicts. The building was constructed on Spring Street in 1834. In 1885 the Ohio Pen became the location for all executions, which previously took place in the various county seats. In April 1955 it housed an all-time high of 5,235 prisoners. Most prisoners were removed from the prison by 1972, following completion of the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility. The Ohio Pen was closed in 1984. The site was abandoned and remaining buildings were demolished in 1997.


1 unit


Arranged chronologically.

Physical Location

GR3627- GR3645 ; GR3888- GR3891

Physical Description

23 microfilm reels ; 35 mm.,16 volumes.
Prisoners register 1829-1973
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Ohio History Connection Repository

800 E. 17th Ave.
Columbus Ohio 43211