Skip to main content

Index to register of prisoners

 Series
Identifier: SAS 2692

Scope and Contents

Contains index to prisoners. Each entry includes prisoner's name, serial number, and county of residence. 1913-1957 (BV7729) 1936-1940 (BV7086) 1957-1973 (BV19,906)

Dates

  • 1913-1973

Creator

Language of Materials

English

Biographical / Historical

First erected in 1813 at the corner of Main and Second streets, the state penitentiary in Columbus was a three-story brick structure with 13 cells. A new three-story building was built on the same site in 1818. By 1830 the state penitentiary proved inadequate. In 1832, the legislature approved building a new penitentiary capable of holding 500 convicts. The building was constructed on Spring Street in 1834. In 1885 the Ohio Pen became the location for all executions, which previously took place in the various county seats. In April 1955 it housed an all-time high of 5,235 prisoners. Most prisoners were removed from the prison by 1972, following completion of the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility. The Ohio Pen was closed in 1984. The site was abandoned and remaining buildings were demolished in 1997.

Extent

1 unit

Arrangement

Arranged alphabetically.

Physical Description

3 volumes
Title
Index to register of prisoners
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Ohio History Connection Repository

Contact:
800 E. 17th Ave.
Columbus Ohio 43211